Airfares rise with oil prices
- March 7, 2011
- Jan Brueckner, economics professor and department chair, is quoted in the Centre Daily Times March 7, 2011
From the Centre Daily Times:
After 28 consecutive months of declining employment, the U.S. airline industry is back in hiring mode, a sign that airlines are ready to add routes and flights. The airline industry reported a 0.2 percent increase in employment in December, the first rise since August 2008 according to the latest data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. "I think the airlines are moving up with the general economy," said Jan Brueckner, an economics professor at UC Irvine and expert on the airline industry. American Airlines recently announced that it plans to hire as many as 30 bilingual flight attendants for its new Los Angeles-to-Shanghai route.
For the full story, please visit http://www.centredaily.com/2011/03/07/2564925/airfares-rise-with-oil-pri...
Related News Items
- Graduate student Niels Dickson to present at BUCLD 46
- Jenks recognized for outstanding undergraduate teaching
- Sarnecka appointed as social sciences associate dean of graduate studies and research
- Casavantes Bradford and Jenks appointed to lead school's Office of Faculty Development and Diversity
- Four UCI social scientists named Chancellor's Professors