Santa Ana event celebrates initiative's success
- June 8, 2010
- Avilene Villanueva, political science undergrad, is featured in the OC Register June 5, 2010
From the OC Register:
Speakers at the event Thursday night at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana included Rep. Loretta Sanchez and AT&T executive Richard Porras, as well as students. Sisters Avilene Villanueva, 20, a third-year-student at UCI, and Yabilex Villanueva, 14, a freshman at Mater Dei High School, spoke of similar changes in their own mother, Alfa. Her mom started asking about her goals and GPA, Avilene told the crowd. "Thanks to this program," she told the audience with a laugh, "things will never be the same at home." The program has produced such training materials as "The 10 Education Commandments for Parents," with the goal of teaching parents, especially immigrants, how to navigate the school system and how to advocate for their children.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/parents-251893-school-told.html.
Related News Items
- How to avoid ageism when recruiting new talent
- UCI researchers find keys to memory consolidation in deep sleep
- Why the church shooting was a wake-up call for younger Taiwanese Americans to reflect on their history
- "Global Burning; Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis" AND "Collective Rage"
- Edwin Amenta and Neal Caren, "Rough Draft of History: A Century of US Social Movements in the News" (Princeton UP, 2022)