Santa Ana event celebrates initiative's success
- June 8, 2010
- Avilene Villanueva, political science undergrad, is featured in the OC Register June 5, 2010
From the OC Register:
Speakers at the event Thursday night at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana included Rep. Loretta Sanchez and AT&T executive Richard Porras, as well as students. Sisters Avilene Villanueva, 20, a third-year-student at UCI, and Yabilex Villanueva, 14, a freshman at Mater Dei High School, spoke of similar changes in their own mother, Alfa. Her mom started asking about her goals and GPA, Avilene told the crowd. "Thanks to this program," she told the audience with a laugh, "things will never be the same at home." The program has produced such training materials as "The 10 Education Commandments for Parents," with the goal of teaching parents, especially immigrants, how to navigate the school system and how to advocate for their children.
For the full story, please visit http://www.ocregister.com/news/parents-251893-school-told.html.
Related News Items
- Marodin and Spencer among 17 campus fellowship award winners
- Math could help set right the sizes of national legislatures
- The racist and problematic history of the body mass index
- Testimony before the Hawaii Senate Committee On Judiciary, Senate Committee on Ways and Means on minimum wage increases
- The Origins of Unfairness