California lawmakers want to stop ‘alarming rise’ in retail theft. How big is the problem?
- November 6, 2023
- Charis Kubrin weighs in on upcoming state legislation in The Sacramento Bee, Nov. 6, 2023
California lawmakers this session want to prioritize strategies to combat retail theft …. experts say undoing some of the state’s criminal justice reforms in the name of stopping thieves could prove ineffective or have negative consequences. “We have to dispense with this simplistic narrative that reforms are what caused the crime and the crime is what causes all of the retail problems that the retail establishments are reporting,” said Charis Kubrin, a professor of Criminology, Law and Society at UC Irvine.
For the full story, please visit https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article281362898.html.
Related News Items
- California lawmakers want to stop 'alarming rise' in retail theft. How big is the problem?
- National Academies report identifies ways to reduce intergenerational poverty in US
- Opinion: Decarceration and crime do not go hand in hand
- She was arrested outside S.F.'s Mid-Market Whole Foods a week before it closed. Here's what happened next.
- Researchers from eight UCs converge on Irvine campus for deep dive on demography