Expert testimony compares Antioch police behavior to 'lynchings'
- September 15, 2023
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci and Asian American studies, CBS Bay Area, Sept. 15, 2023
A race studies expert Friday compared text messages among Antioch police about Black murder suspects to the racist animalization and encouragement of violence typical of lynchings going back to the era of slavery. Claire Jean Kim, a University of California, Irvine professor of political science and Asian American Studies science who focuses on comparative race studies, testified Friday in court in the case of four Black murder suspects challenging their arrests based on the arresting officers being among 10 Antioch and Pittsburg officers indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice in August for civil rights violations. … Kim said text chains involved supervisors and internal affairs officers "clearly undermines the argument that it's just a few bad apples."
For the full story, please visit https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/expert-testimony-compares-antioch-police-behavior-to-lynchings/.
Related News Items
- "Better Asians than Blacks" (Web essay)
- Opinion: With overturning of affirmative action, Asian Americans became political pawns. Again.
- UCI social sciences pilot projects taking on racism
- Creating a new vision for Asian American empowerment and belonging
- Korean and Black American relations past and present