Why are Vietnamese the most Republican-leaning Asian Americans?
- July 3, 2023
- Long Bui, global and international studies, The Washington Post, July 3, 2023
Former president Donald Trump has also reaped support. Almost half of [Orange County] Vietnamese Americans in 2022 had a “very favorable” or “somewhat favorable” impression of Trump (47 percent) compared to 29 percent of Asian Americans overall according to the Asian American Voter Survey. Trump’s popularity among that group was in part due to the former president’s strong stance against the Chinese government, despite floating plans to deport Vietnamese refugees, said Long Bui, an associate professor of global and international studies at the University of California, Irvine. Yet, as more young Vietnamese Americans vote, the community’s political leanings could shift.
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/07/03/vietnamese-republican-democrat-politics-vote/.
Related News Items
- Another Democrat is vying to flip Rep. Michelle Steel's seat in heavily Vietnamese CA-45
- Breaking down barriers
- Reimagining resilient agri-food supply chains
- Committee report focus is not on demonstrators - 5 essential reads on the symbols they carried on Jan. 6
- California congressional race pits Asian vs Asian, with a strong anti-China bias