China province to offer benefits to single parents as birth rate drops
- January 30, 2023
- Wang Feng, sociology, The Washington Post, Jan. 30, 2023
“This is the first time in 40 years that a province has lifted a birth quota,” said Wang Feng, professor of sociology at the University of California, Irvine. “There was so much discussion around the lifting of the one-child policy … but this is the first time, with this province, that the government finally gave up this desire to tell people how many births they could have.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/01/30/china-sichuan-single-parents-birth-rate/.
Related News Items
- You can't even pay people to have more kids
- Why China's young people are not getting married
- China's population is shrinking. It faces a perilous future.
- Desperate for babies, China races to undo an era of birth limits. Is it too late?
- Single mothers in China face fewer hurdles as Beijing tries to boost births