‘The last generation’: the young Chinese people vowing not to have children
- January 20, 2023
- Wang Feng, sociology, The Guardian, Jan. 20, 2023
Wang Feng, a sociology professor at the University of California, Irvine, said the population decline had begun almost a decade earlier than the United Nations had anticipated. … Wang said the population decline could be attributed to the one-child policy that began three and half decades ago, which resulted in a smaller number of women of childbearing age, people delaying or giving up on marriage and a smaller number of births within marriages. But the pandemic has worsened the situation.
For the full story, please visit https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/20/the-last-generation-young-chinese-people-vow-not-to-have-children.
Related News Items
- Why China's young people are not getting married
- China's population is shrinking. It faces a perilous future.
- Desperate for babies, China races to undo an era of birth limits. Is it too late?
- Single mothers in China face fewer hurdles as Beijing tries to boost births
- China province to offer benefits to single parents as birth rate drops