China’s official population falls for the first time in decades
- January 16, 2023
- Wang Feng, sociology, Financial Times, Jan. 16, 2023
China’s population fell last year for the first time in decades, a historic shift that is expected to have long-term consequences for the domestic and global economies. … “This is a truly historic turning point, an onset of a long-term and irreversible population decline,” said Wang Feng, [professor of sociology], an expert on Chinese demographic change at the University of California, Irvine.
For the full story, please visit https://www.ft.com/content/ec3e4c31-63bf-4804-b8ec-cd1bf17f2739#post-500a76fb-d83c-4566-8a1b-5c2c3c755057.
Related News Items
- What does a world with billions of old people look like? Asian countries are searching for answers
- Opinion: The alternative, optimistic story of population decline
- China's singles fight family pressure to get married as population declines
- 'The last generation': the young Chinese people vowing not to have children
- China's self-inflicted pain