Explainer: What’s behind the protests in China?
- December 1, 2022
- Wang Feng, sociology, U.S. News and World Report, Dec. 1, 2022
“We have never seen such a large gathering and outpouring of concern and disgust of where the way China has been going,” says Wang Feng, a professor at the University of California, Irvine. Wang says the protests go beyond the strict coronavirus measures. They also have to do with censorship and political control, with the demonstrations coming shortly after Xi started an unprecedented third term as China’s leader ….
For the full story, please visit https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2022-12-01/explainer-what-to-know-about-chinas-covid-19-lockdown-protests.
Related News Items
- China is facing a brutal reality as it desperately tries to fix its population decline problem
- China's population declines for the 2nd year in a row
- Newsletter: On our radar: 'Dragon babies'
- 'Baby dragons' to rescue China? Beijing is counting on 2024 to fix its population woes - Here's Why
- China's population decline accelerates as economy reaches low growth target