‘Red-baiting’ fliers mailed to Vietnamese Americans in tight California congressional race
- September 30, 2022
- Long Bui, global and international studies, Los Angeles Times, Yahoo News, MSN, Sept. 30, 2022
The campaign flier sent to Vietnamese-American voters in Orange County is heavily doctored and designed to inflame. A Democratic congressional candidate is photoshopped in front of a classroom of children, a copy of “The Communist Manifesto” in hand. … “This is red-baiting since it entails a Taiwanese American being accused of bringing Maoist thought into American classrooms,” said Long T. Bui, an associate professor of global and international studies at UC Irvine. “None of this is part of [Jay] Chen’s educational platform.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2022-09-30/jay-chen-michelle-steel-china-communism-vietnamese-voters.
Related News Items
- Breaking down barriers
- Reimagining resilient agri-food supply chains
- Why are Vietnamese the most Republican-leaning Asian Americans?
- Committee report focus is not on demonstrators - 5 essential reads on the symbols they carried on Jan. 6
- California congressional race pits Asian vs Asian, with a strong anti-China bias