Help wanted: No over-50s need apply
- September 14, 2022
- David Neumark, economics, MarketWatch, Sept. 14, 2022
Economics professors Ian Burn (University of Liverpool in England) and Daniel Ladd, [Ph.D. candidate] Daniel Firoozi [Ph.D. candidate] and [Distinguished Professor] David Neumark (all UC Irvine) conducted a clever experiment where they placed hundreds of fake job postings in cities all across America for some basic, low-skill jobs …. In half of the ads they used careful, neutral language. In the other half they used coded words and phrases designed to let older people know that they needn’t bother applying.
For the full story, please visit https://www.marketwatch.com/story/help-wanted-no-over-50s-need-apply-11663169761.
Related News Items
- Large pay gains outpace state minimum-wage boosts for many workers
- Pay gap at Nike persisted after changes, lawsuit alleges
- West Virginia legislators should avoid minimum wage hikes in 2023
- New research shows job ads deter applicants age 40 and older
- Opinion: The housing market is bad but not that bad - elsewhere