Why abortion may be a winning issue for democrats
- August 3, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, explains in this piece for FiveThirtyEight, Aug. 3, 2022
Michael Tesler, UCI professor of political science writes, “Abortion has all the elements,
then, of a particularly potent wedge issue for the Democratic Party. Democrats are
increasingly unified and motivated to return to the status quo of legal abortions
under Roe — a constitutional right that most Americans had long taken for granted.
Republicans, meanwhile, are more divided and demobilized by an issue that has historically
rallied its base. And independents are closer to Democrats on abortion, especially
in states where Republican lawmakers have passed overwhelmingly unpopular abortion
bans without exceptions for rape and incest.”
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-abortion-is-becoming-a-winning-issue-for-democrats/.
Related News Items
- Should Kansas's abortion vote change expectations for the midterms?
- Biden's approval slump hits a dreary new milestone
- For the first time in years, democrats are more concerned about abortion than republicans are
- Why do GOP lawmakers still oppose legalizing weed?
- Number of the day, powered by FiveThirtyEight