Why abortion may be a winning issue for democrats
- August 3, 2022
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, explains in this piece for FiveThirtyEight, Aug. 3, 2022
Michael Tesler, UCI professor of political science writes, “Abortion has all the elements,
then, of a particularly potent wedge issue for the Democratic Party. Democrats are
increasingly unified and motivated to return to the status quo of legal abortions
under Roe — a constitutional right that most Americans had long taken for granted.
Republicans, meanwhile, are more divided and demobilized by an issue that has historically
rallied its base. And independents are closer to Democrats on abortion, especially
in states where Republican lawmakers have passed overwhelmingly unpopular abortion
bans without exceptions for rape and incest.”
For the full story, please visit https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-abortion-is-becoming-a-winning-issue-for-democrats/.
Related News Items
- What's to stop the House speaker chaos from happening again to the next guy?
- Republicans dislike their congressional leaders. Democrats like theirs.
- Chris Christie should have run for president in 2012
- Chris Christie, Mike Pence, and Doug Burgum are all about to enter the GOP primary -- and that's excellent news for Donald Trump
- Playbook PM: Senate heads toward debt ceiling vote