Opinion: Corporate capture
- May 18, 2022
- Eve Darian-Smith, global and international studies, via The News International
Eve Darian-Smith, UCI professor and chair of global and international studies, writes, “In 1988, when NASA scientist James Hansen testified before a US Senate committee about the greenhouse effect, both the Republican and Democratic parties took climate change seriously. But this attitude quickly diverged. Since the 1990s, the energy sector has heavily financed conservative candidates who have pushed its interests and helped to reduce regulations on the fossil fuel industry. This has enabled the expansion of fossil fuel production and escalated CO2 emissions to dangerous levels.
For the full story, please visit https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/958640-corporate-capture.
Related News Items
- Is academic freedom a human right?
- Darian-Smith wins McClung Lee Book Award for Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis
- Our beds are burning
- How the Federal Reserve can be used to help the average American
- Earth911 Podcast: Eve Darian-Smith on Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis