To frustration of many, Trudeau has moved slowly with Canada protests
- February 11, 2022
- Jeff Kopstein, poli sci, The New York Times, Feb. 11, 2022
Canada does have homegrown far-right and populist right-wing movements. But the right-wing populist wave that has risen in many other Western democracies in recent years did not seem to find similar purchase in Canada. Political scientists have emphasized one difference in particular: Canada’s mainstream right-wing parties and institutions “never unified with the right-wing populists,” said Jeffrey S. Kopstein, a Canadian political [science professor] at the University of California, Irvine.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/world/americas/canada-trudeau-trucker-protests.html.
Related News Items
- Politics, Violence, Memory: The New Social Science of the Holocaust
- Canada protests: Plans for a protest by truckers in the U.S. gain momentum
- A moment for Canada's far right, still struggling for support
- Kopstein receives U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Ina Levine Invitational Fellowship
- Opinion: Why can't we mandate anything?