Opinion: This is gerrymandering at its worst. It doesn’t have to be this way.
- February 1, 2022
- Bernie Grofman, poli sci, The Washington Post, Feb. 1, 2022 (Opinion)
Virginia’s new [redistricting] map shows there is a better way. After the initial
process failed, the Virginia Supreme Court chose two experts [Bernard Grofman, UCI
Distinguished Professor of political science and Sean Trende] — one from each party
— who drew lines that produced a fairer map. The new map includes strong red and deep
blue districts, two majority-minority districts and real battlegrounds elsewhere.
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/interactive/2022/gerrymandering-examples-north-carolina-illinois-alabama-texas-how-to-fix/?itid=sf_opinions.
Related News Items
- Why the Democrats' likely poor midterm performance this year may be of their own and Joe Biden's making
- Commentary: Bellwether counties are mostly a matter of chance and are now poor predictors of presidential election results.
- Amid primary disarray, Ohio Redistricting Commission starts work on 4th legislative maps
- Judges replace the NC congressional redistricting plan. The state Supreme Court denies all requests for a stay.
- Trial court rejects NC congressional map, OKs legislative districts