Quotation of the day: Worries in China that population may soon shrink
- January 18, 2022
- Wang Feng, sociology, The New York Times, Jan. 18, 2022
“The year 2021 will go down in Chinese history as the year that China last saw population growth in its long history.” Wang Feng, a professor of sociology at the University of California, Irvine. Last year’s birthrate was lower than the most pessimistic estimates.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/18/todayspaper/quotation-of-the-day-worries-in-china-that-population-may-soon-shrink.html.
Related News Items
- 'The last generation': the young Chinese people vowing not to have children
- China's self-inflicted pain
- How China came to regret its one-child policy
- Here's how the seismic shift of a shrinking China could transform its economy, politics and society
- Why China's shrinking population is a big deal - counting the social, economic and political costs of an aging, smaller society