In fight against violence, Asian and Black activists struggle to agree
- December 19, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, The New York Times, Yahoo Voices, Yahoo News, The Boston Globe, Dec. 19, 2021
“There’s more criticism and more skepticism about the police among Black people than Asian Americans,” said Claire Jean Kim, a professor of political science and Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine. Often, she said, Asian Americans see the police “as protectors of private property rather than instruments of social control.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/us/black-asian-activists-policing-disagreement.html.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color