In fight against violence, Asian and Black activists struggle to agree
- December 19, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, The New York Times, Yahoo Voices, Yahoo News, The Boston Globe, Dec. 19, 2021
“There’s more criticism and more skepticism about the police among Black people than Asian Americans,” said Claire Jean Kim, a professor of political science and Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine. Often, she said, Asian Americans see the police “as protectors of private property rather than instruments of social control.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/19/us/black-asian-activists-policing-disagreement.html.
Related News Items
- Expert testimony compares Antioch police behavior to 'lynchings'
- "Better Asians than Blacks" (Web essay)
- Opinion: With overturning of affirmative action, Asian Americans became political pawns. Again.
- Creating a new vision for Asian American empowerment and belonging
- Korean and Black American relations past and present