Commentary: New legislative maps keep faith with Virginia voters
- December 16, 2021
- Bernie Grofman, poli sci, Virginia Mercury, Dec. 16, 2021 (Commentary)
Voting advocates, civic activists and everyday Virginians should commend draft redistricting maps that so-called “special masters” drew at the behest of the state Supreme Court. … Sean Trende and Bernard Grofman, the map-drawers selected by Republicans and Democrats, respectively, said in a memo that “they took seriously the Court’s command that, although we were nominated by the political parties, we would behave in ‘an apolitical and nonpartisan manner.’ … [Sean] Trende is a senior elections analyst at RealClearPolitics. [Bernard] Grofman is a [Distinguished Professor of] political science at the University of California, Irvine. As they crafted boundaries, where incumbents lived wasn’t part of the equation – and that’s how it should be.
For the full story, please visit https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/12/16/new-legislative-maps-keep-faith-with-virginia-voters/.
Related News Items
- Why the Democrats' likely poor midterm performance this year may be of their own and Joe Biden's making
- Commentary: Bellwether counties are mostly a matter of chance and are now poor predictors of presidential election results.
- Amid primary disarray, Ohio Redistricting Commission starts work on 4th legislative maps
- Judges replace the NC congressional redistricting plan. The state Supreme Court denies all requests for a stay.
- Trial court rejects NC congressional map, OKs legislative districts