Va. Senate Democrats ask state Supreme Court to disqualify Republicans’ nominated map drawers
- November 8, 2021
- Bernie Grofman, poli sci, The Washington Post and MSN, Nov. 8, 2021
The Democratic nominees include Bernard Grofman, a political science [Distinguished] Professor at the University of California, Irvine. Grofman also served as a special master to a federal court in 2019 to redraw Virginia House districts, intended to repair racial gerrymandering in the southeast part of the state. … In a 131-page report to the court, Grofman noted that his map proposals were “drawn in a fashion that is blind with respect to partisan outcomes, with partisan data and election outcome data not examined except where needed to avoid minority vote dilution.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/11/08/virginia-redistricting-republican-map-drawers/.
Related News Items
- Why didn't you vote, Orange County?
- Supreme Court gives the voting rights act a tenuous new lease on life
- Biden's back-up plan
- 'One of the odd and scary things about American politics' is what Republicans are doing
- Why the Democrats' likely poor midterm performance this year may be of their own and Joe Biden's making