We are living in the age of parenting vigilantism
- July 30, 2021
- Barbara Sarnecka, cog sci, Scary Mommy and Yahoo Lifestyle, July 30, 2021
You will hear the “better safe than sorry” argument—but is the impulse to notify the authorities about an unsupervised child purely about safety? “It’s not about safety,” says Barbara W. Sarnecka, a cognitive science [professor] at University of California-Irvine. “It’s about enforcing a social norm.” I think many of us could agree that, in “enforcing the social norm,” buttinski-ism plays a part. A large part.
For the full story, please visit https://www.scarymommy.com/living-in-the-age-of-parenting-vigilantism/.
Related News Items
- Sarnecka appointed as social sciences associate dean of graduate studies and research
- Sarnecka recognized for book on academic writing tools, tips and tricks
- Raising a fearful generation
- How to write more, write better, and be happier in academia
- Infants 10 to 16 months old prefer those who yield in conflicts, study finds