China targets Muslim women in push to suppress births in Xinjiang
- May 10, 2021
- Wang Feng, sociology, The New York Times, Yahoo News, DNYUZ, May 10, 2021
The sharp drop in birthrates in the region was “shocking” and clearly in part a result of the campaign to tighten enforcement of birth control policies, said Wang Feng, a professor of sociology and expert in Chinese population policies at University of California, Irvine. But other factors could include a fall in the number of women of childbearing age, later marriages and postponed births, he said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/10/world/asia/china-xinjiang-women-births.html.
Related News Items
- China isn't that strategic
- 'A sacrifice for a generation': China scrambles to boost its population with 3-child policy
- Opinion: The real reason behind China's three-child policy
- China announces three-child limit in major policy shift
- China's people problem swings from too many to a 'decline that sees no end'