Which states will gain or lose seats in the next Congress
- April 26, 2021
- Bernie Grofman, poli sci, The New York Times, April 26, 2021
“The parties have this natural inclination to go for broke, say, ‘We’ve got a new seat, let’s grab it and take the opportunity we have,’ ” said Bernard Grofman, a political science [Distinguished] Professor at the University of California, Irvine, who has served as a special master for court-ordered redistricting in multiple states. For Republicans, he said, “picking up new seats and stopping Joe Biden is going to have a high, high priority, even though they may pay a big political price down the road.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/26/us/politics/congress-house-seats-census.html.
Related News Items
- Commentary: Bellwether counties are mostly a matter of chance and are now poor predictors of presidential election results.
- Amid primary disarray, Ohio Redistricting Commission starts work on 4th legislative maps
- Judges replace the NC congressional redistricting plan. The state Supreme Court denies all requests for a stay.
- Trial court rejects NC congressional map, OKs legislative districts
- North Carolina adopts congressional map favorable to Democrats