Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- April 13, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, Los Angeles Times and Yahoo News, April 13, 2021
Claire Jean Kim, a political scientist and professor of Asian American Studies at the University of California Irvine, is skeptical these bills would fully address anti-Asian racism, adding that addressing social problems, inequality and injustice needs to be part of the solution. “All of this talk about hate crimes right now against Asian Americans sounds like superficial, symbolic posturing for political reasons,” she said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-04-13/democrats-move-to-beef-up-prosecution-of-anti-asian-hate-crimes.
Related News Items
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color
- Stop Asian hate, Stop Black hate, stop all hate: Many Americans call for unity against racism
- Coverage of Bay area anti-Asian violence is missing a key element
- Anti-Asian violence is part of an epidemic of racism but here's why you're only hearing about it now
- The history of attacks against Asian Americans is complicated. Addressing it will be, too