Coverage of Bay area anti-Asian violence is missing a key element
- March 19, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, Slate, March 19, 2021
Some (not all) of the video evidence of anti-Asian attacks in the Bay Area has featured
Black perpetrators. I spoke with Claire Jean Kim, a professor of political science
and Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine, who has previously
written a book about Black-Korean community relations in New York City and is finishing
up a new one: Asian Americans in an Anti-Black World. I asked Kim to give some historical
context for the Bay Area attacks and to critique how the media has been doing in covering
the racial dimensions of these crimes.
For the full story, please visit https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/03/anti-asian-violence-bay-area-history-black-communities-race.html.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color