Anti-Asian violence is part of an epidemic of racism but here’s why you’re only hearing about it now
- March 18, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, Insider, March 18, 2021
University of California, Irvine Professor [of political science], Claire Jean Kim
said Asian communities want to celebrate their culture and heritage, but they also
desire the privileges afforded to white populations. … “Asian Americans “don’t want
to be white,” Kim said.” They want to be who they are in terms of their own heritage
and their language and everything. But they want to have the privileges that whites
have. They want to be equal … be seen as equal.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.insider.com/anti-asian-violence-racism-hate-crime-invisible-american-history.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color