‘Black and Asian unity': attacks on elders spark reckoning with racism's roots
- February 21, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci and Asian American studies, The Guardian, Yahoo News, MSN, Feb. 21, 2021
But it’s not just white supremacy that pits the two communities against each other,
it’s anti-Blackness, said Claire Jean Kim, a professor at the University of California,
Irvine, who is currently working on a book titled Asian Americans in an Anti-Black
World. Anti-Blackness is “everybody elevating everybody who is not Black and putting
people who are black at the bottom”, Kim said. “Asian Americans are put in the position
in that they are not white and not Black. The power of that is that there is a structural
gap between Asians and Blacks,” she said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/21/black-and-asian-unity-attacks-on-elders-spark-reckoning-with-racisms-roots.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color