Women with belly fat are more stigmatized than those with bigger butts, regardless of their weight, study finds
- February 18, 2021
- Sabrina Strings, sociology, Insider, Feb. 18, 2021
Sabrina Strings, associate professor of sociology at the University of California, Irvine, who wasn't involved in the study, was not surprised by the study's finding. "As a culture, we are well aware of the fact that hourglass shapes are valorized," she told Insider. "Our society is telling people that they are not worthy as they are, and this is the thing that we need to work on."
For the full story, please visit https://www.insider.com/women-with-belly-fat-more-stigma-than-big-butts-2021-2.
Related News Items
- The racist and problematic history of the body mass index
- Op-ed: Let's stop talking about racism and fat phobia as separate issues
- The unbearable weight of diet culture
- COVID-19: An ongoing tragedy in Black, Brown, and White
- What the outcry from Kumail Nanjiani's sculpted body tells us about racism, masculinity standards