The role of credit unions in stopping the spread of lies online
- February 18, 2021
- Bill Maurer, anthropology and law, Credit Union Times, Feb. 18, 2021
Although helping to stop the spread of misinformation isn’t the most likely task on credit unions’ to-do lists, cooperatives do in fact play a role in the effort. A recent Filene Research Institute podcast and blog post that focused entirely on this topic featured insights from Bill Maurer, a law and anthropology professor and director of the Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion at the University of California, Irvine and Joan Donovan, who is directing a technology and social change research project at Harvard Kennedy School. ... In the podcast, Maurer explained how the pandemic recession has left many people with financial troubles and needing to turn to their financial institutions for help, but that they may distrust financial institutions as they did during the Great Recession of 2008.
For the full story, please visit https://www.cutimes.com/2021/02/18/the-role-of-credit-unions-in-stopping-the-spread-of-lies-online/.
Related News Items
- FBI just proved Bitcoin's much-touted anonymity is illusory, says financial expert -- and no, El Salvador didn't actually make Bitcoin any more useful
- The fascinating history behind the popular 'waving lucky cat'
- Why Epic is burning its own cash to cook Apple
- Everything we want costs energy, including bitcoin
- What is a merchant account?