Fact-checking Joe Biden’s claim about $15 minimum wage and poverty
- February 10, 2021
- David Neumark, economics, Politico, Feb. 10, 2021
David Neumark, a professor of economics at the University of California-Irvine, who
has found negative impacts on jobs from wage hikes, said the minimum wage is a "crude
tool to target poverty" because it targets low wages, not low family income. "A worker
gets the higher minimum wage whether she is a single mother (who needs help!), the
spouse of someone who makes $1 million a year, or the teenage daughter of that same
person," he said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/feb/10/joe-biden/fact-checking-bidens-claim-about-15-minimum-wage-a/.
Related News Items
- Opinion: 'Natural experiments' lead to an economics Nobel
- The Nobel in economics goes to three who find experiments in real life
- America celebrates Labor Day - but are US workers winning?
- UCI Center for Population, Inequality, and Policy receives funding boost
- 60% of older workers say being old hurts their future job prospects