Why the promise of diversity in 'Bridgerton' is a lie
- February 2, 2021
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, Scary Mommy, Feb. 2, 2021
As an Asian American, the lack of representation in popular shows like this one shakes my already tenuous position in the racial social order. … This is the plight of being Asian American. We exist in an racial triangulation between Black and white, a theory coined by [UCI Political Science] Professor Claire Jean Kim to describe Asian Americans as existing in a third space between Black and white. So in a Regency era “throuple” romance, Asians are seen, but fleetingly. We whisper, but our words are inaudible.
For the full story, please visit https://www.scarymommy.com/promise-diversity-bridgerton-a-lie/.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color