Opinion: The fatal blind spots of American democracy
- January 12, 2021
- Shawn Rosenberg, poli sci, South China Morning Post, Jan. 12, 2021 (Opinion)
I am reminded of a controversial lecture given by Shawn Rosenberg, at the International
Society of Political Psychologists’ annual conference in Lisbon in 2018. … An eminent
professor of political science and psychological science at the University of California,
Irvine, he argues, without mincing words, that Western democracy is devouring itself.
For democracy to work, it has to rely on smart people – the intellectual, bureaucratic,
managerial and scientific elites. … Yet, there has been rising distrust of such elites.
For the full story, please visit https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3117466/fatal-blind-spots-american-democracy.
Related News Items
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Trump stress-tested the election system, and the cracks showed
- Opinion: America's 'elites' are failing in the COVID-19 pandemic and that's pushing U.S. voters towards right-wing populism
- Pissed about Super Tuesday? Suck it up: Beating Trump means supporting the Democratic nominee