The 10 best California books of 2020
- December 17, 2020
- Hector Tobar, Chicano/Latino studies, Los Angeles Times, Dec. 17, 2020
The Last Great Road Bum. By Héctor Tobar. [UCI professor of Chicano/Latino studies] Tobar’s novel is a departure, and an innovation: the story of Joe Sanderson, a Midwesterner who ended up dying in El Salvador after joining the rebel forces in the country’s civil war. … the book asks trenchant questions about imagination, appropriation and where, or whether, we belong. … Set the Night on Fire: L.A. in the Sixties. By Mike Davis and Jon Wiener. Davis … and UC Irvine emeritus professor Wiener frame the city as a complex amalgam of communities and agendas ….
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2020-12-17/the-10-best-california-books-of-2020.
Related News Items
- Opinion: What the future holds for undocumented immigrants
- Opinion: Biden and Trump's final debate: Who won?
- Here's your virtual L.A. Times Festival of Books lineup
- Opinion: Best and worst moments of the Kamala Harris-Mike Pence debate: 'Most bizarre moment was the fly'
- Opinion: Biden and Trump's first debate: Best and worst moments