Trump stress-tested the election system, and the cracks showed
- November 24, 2020
- Shawn Rosenberg, poli sci, The New York Times, Yahoo News, Chicago Tribune, and The Baltimore Sun, Nov. 24, 2020
Shawn Rosenberg, a professor of political and psychological science at the University of California, Irvine … said Mr. Trump has been highly effective at exploiting the gap between the complexity of the country’s political system and the more rudimentary grasp most voters have of their government. For the average partisan, he said, issues of political norms and procedures were “very abstract” and far less important than simply winning — an impulse Mr. Trump stoked to the detriment of democratic institutions. [Subscription required, campus-wide access provided by UCI Libraries.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/24/us/politics/election-trump-democracy.html.
Related News Items
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- Opinion: The fatal blind spots of American democracy
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Opinion: America's 'elites' are failing in the COVID-19 pandemic and that's pushing U.S. voters towards right-wing populism
- Pissed about Super Tuesday? Suck it up: Beating Trump means supporting the Democratic nominee