The BMI scale is racist and useless. Here's how to measure health instead.
- July 20, 2020
- Sabrina Strings, sociology, HuffPost, July 20, 2020
While the BMI has countless failings as a reliable tool, racism is chief among them, said Sabrina Strings, an assistant professor at the University of California, Irvine. “It is racist, and also sexist, to use mostly white men within your study population and then try to extrapolate that and create norms and expectations for women and people of color,” Strings told HuffPost. “They have not been included in the initial clinical analyses, and therefore their actual health outcomes cannot be determined by these findings.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bmi-scale-racist-health_l_5f15a8a8c5b6d14c336a43b0.
Related News Items
- Fat phobia and its racist past and present
- Unpacking the racist roots of fat phobia and diet culture
- AJPH July 2020: "COVID-19: Are we in this pandemic all together?"
- The racist roots of fighting obesity
- UC Irvine panel discusses mourning, anti-black violence in response to Black Lives Matter protests, COVID-19