China's birthrate hits historic low, in looming crisis for Beijing
- January 16, 2020
- Wang Feng, sociology, The New York Times and Forbes India, Jan. 16, 2020
“It’s a society where nobody wants to get married and people can’t afford to have
children,” said Wang Feng, a professor of sociology at the University of California,
Irvine. “On a deeper level, you would have to think about what kind of society China
will become, not just demographically, but socially.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/16/business/china-birth-rate-2019.html.
Related News Items
- China's people problem swings from too many to a 'decline that sees no end'
- China bets on productivity over population to drive its economy
- Why China and east Asia's ageing population threatens global Covid recovery
- China posts slowest population growth in decades
- China's birthrate drops, as census data warn of aging population