Will Trump anger motivate black turnout?
- December 18, 2019
- Davin Phoenix, poli sci, Niskanen Center, Dec. 18, 2019 (Audio)
Black turnout was down in 2016, costing Hillary Clinton pivotal votes and raising questions about whether post-Obama Democrats can mobilize black voters. We know President Trump is angering and mobilizing a lot of white Democrats but that may not translate the same way for black voters. [UCI Assistant Professor] Davin Phoenix finds that black Americans express less anger than white Americans and anger does not stimulate them as much to participate in politics.
For the full story, please visit https://www.niskanencenter.org/will-trump-anger-motivate-black-turnout/.
Related News Items
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021
- The Capitol siege shows how White Americans can express anger that Black Americans cannot
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Why did so many white women vote for Trump?
- Cognitive decline distorts political choices, UCI-led study says