Will Trump anger motivate black turnout?
- December 18, 2019
- Davin Phoenix, poli sci, Niskanen Center, Dec. 18, 2019 (Audio)
Black turnout was down in 2016, costing Hillary Clinton pivotal votes and raising questions about whether post-Obama Democrats can mobilize black voters. We know President Trump is angering and mobilizing a lot of white Democrats but that may not translate the same way for black voters. [UCI Assistant Professor] Davin Phoenix finds that black Americans express less anger than white Americans and anger does not stimulate them as much to participate in politics.
For the full story, please visit https://www.niskanencenter.org/will-trump-anger-motivate-black-turnout/.
Related News Items
- Cognitive decline distorts political choices, UCI-led study says
- Opinion: Election 2020: Voting is 'too often a privilege'
- Ask PolitiFact: Does Black Lives Matter aim to destroy the nuclear family?
- UCI Podcast: Professor Davin Phoenix on the political impact of the Black Lives Matter movement
- Will the Floyd protests lead to police reform? Here's what we know.