Will Trump anger motivate black turnout?
- December 18, 2019
- Davin Phoenix, poli sci, Niskanen Center, Dec. 18, 2019 (Audio)
Black turnout was down in 2016, costing Hillary Clinton pivotal votes and raising questions about whether post-Obama Democrats can mobilize black voters. We know President Trump is angering and mobilizing a lot of white Democrats but that may not translate the same way for black voters. [UCI Assistant Professor] Davin Phoenix finds that black Americans express less anger than white Americans and anger does not stimulate them as much to participate in politics.
For the full story, please visit https://www.niskanencenter.org/will-trump-anger-motivate-black-turnout/.
Related News Items
- Commemorating Juneteenth
- The catch-22 facing Black voters at the ballot box
- Phoenix is named an inaugural UCI Inclusive Excellence Term Chair Professor
- Opinion: Rep. Maxine Waters voiced the anger of many Black Americans. That's important, politically.
- The death of George Floyd reignited a movement. What happens now?