For Chinese American conservatives, race is a weapon
- October 8, 2019
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, The Nation, Oct. 8, 2019
Claire Jean Kim, a professor of political science and Asian American studies at the University of California, Irvine, writes, “Much of the coverage of the case notes that this is the first major anti–affirmative action lawsuit featuring plaintiffs who aren’t white, but it could otherwise read as another installment in the long-running war between white conservatives such as Ed Blum, who found the plaintiffs and initiated the lawsuit against Harvard in their name, and supposedly liberal university administrators and their black and Latinx constituents.”
For the full story, please visit https://www.thenation.com/article/asian-conservatives-affirmative-action/.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color