The shocking paper predicting the end of democracy
- September 8, 2019
- Shawn Rosenberg, poli sci, Politico Magazine, Sept. 8, 2019
As one of the lions of the profession, 68-year-old Shawn Rosenberg, began delivering his paper, people in the crowd of about a hundred started shifting in their seats. … What caused the stir? Rosenberg, a professor at UC Irvine, was challenging a core assumption about America and the West. His theory? Democracy is devouring itself—his phrase — and it won’t last. … Rosenberg, who earned degrees at Yale, Oxford and Harvard, may be the social scientist for our time if events play out as he suggests they will.
For the full story, please visit https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/08/shawn-rosenberg-democracy-228045.
Related News Items
- Pissed about Super Tuesday? Suck it up: Beating Trump means supporting the Democratic nominee
- Opinion: Democracy isn't dead; we've barely tried it
- Democracy dies when labor unions do
- Naysayers don't believe American democracy can survive. Let's prove them wrong
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots