Opinion: The New York Times omits mention of race from its history of the tea party
- August 29, 2019
- Michael Tesler, The Washington Post, Aug. 29, 2019
Here’s author [UCI Associate Professor] Michael Tesler in his book "Post-Racial or
Most-Racial?: Race and Politics in the Obama Era” summing up the state of knowledge:
“There is a good deal of social scientific evidence to support claims that both Tea
Party members, and those who sympathize with them, were driven at least in part by
racial conservatism.” … Tesler cautions that it would be unfair to “broadly” brand
Tea Party activists as racists, considering that adherence was driven by several factors.
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/08/29/new-york-times-omits-mention-race-history-tea-party/.
Related News Items
- Why are Republicans silent about the Ukraine whistleblower scandal? This one chart explains.
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016
- For Trump, appeals to white fears about race may be a tougher sell in 2020: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you're a democrat or a republican
- Racists almost always claim not to be racist