For Trump, appeals to white fears about race may be a tougher sell in 2020: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- August 19, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, Reuters, The New York Times, and the National Post Aug. 19, 2019
Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine, said Trump may be influencing many Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents in their views on race. “They may not care that much about race initially, and then they see Trump pushing on race so hard on race,” he said. “And so they push back.”
Related News Items
- Opinion: Trump has a gift for tearing us apart
- Racially divisive parties have more voters now, but voters aren't becoming more racist. What explains this?
- Why are Republicans silent about the Ukraine whistleblower scandal? This one chart explains.
- Opinion: The New York Times omits mention of race from its history of the tea party
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016