Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you’re a democrat or a republican
- August 8, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, in The New York Times, Aug. 8, 2019
This identity-based polarization threatens to make politics “less about what the government should do and more about what it means to be an American,” write John Sides, [UCI Associate Professor] Michael Tesler and Lynn Vavreck in their book, “Identity Crisis.” And while President Trump did not precipitate this shift, he exploits and reinforces it with racist and xenophobic rhetoric.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/08/opinion/sunday/party-polarization-quiz.html.
Related News Items
- Opinion: Trump has a gift for tearing us apart
- Racially divisive parties have more voters now, but voters aren't becoming more racist. What explains this?
- Why are Republicans silent about the Ukraine whistleblower scandal? This one chart explains.
- Opinion: The New York Times omits mention of race from its history of the tea party
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016