Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you’re a democrat or a republican
- August 8, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, in The New York Times, Aug. 8, 2019
This identity-based polarization threatens to make politics “less about what the government should do and more about what it means to be an American,” write John Sides, [UCI Associate Professor] Michael Tesler and Lynn Vavreck in their book, “Identity Crisis.” And while President Trump did not precipitate this shift, he exploits and reinforces it with racist and xenophobic rhetoric.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/08/opinion/sunday/party-polarization-quiz.html.
Related News Items
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016
- For Trump, appeals to white fears about race may be a tougher sell in 2020: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you're a democrat or a republican
- Racists almost always claim not to be racist
- Republicans don't think Trump's tweets are racist. That fits a long American history of denying racism.