Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you’re a democrat or a republican
- August 8, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, in The New York Times, Aug. 8, 2019
This identity-based polarization threatens to make politics “less about what the government should do and more about what it means to be an American,” write John Sides, [UCI Associate Professor] Michael Tesler and Lynn Vavreck in their book, “Identity Crisis.” And while President Trump did not precipitate this shift, he exploits and reinforces it with racist and xenophobic rhetoric.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/08/opinion/sunday/party-polarization-quiz.html.
Related News Items
- America's racial awakening forces Virginia Military Institute to confront its past - and future
- The souls of white folk
- Asian Americans fastest-growing racial group in US: Pew research
- Why the recent violence against Asian Americans may solidify their support of democrats
- UC Irvine political science faculty statement on the events of Jan. 6, 2021