White anxiety, and a president ready to address it
- July 20, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, in The New York Times, July 20, 2019
“It really takes a Trump to ignite it,” said Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine. “These beliefs that whites are discriminated against, that undeserving minorities are getting more than they deserve, and hard-working whites are getting less than they deserve — those are always there. … “Much of the research on the role of emotions in politics points to anger as a particularly effective emotion in getting people off the sidelines and onto the political playing field,” said Davin Phoenix, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine. [Subscription required, campus-wide access provided by UCI Libraries. Sign-up here: AccessNYT.com]
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/20/upshot/white-anxiety-trump.html.
Related News Items
- Why are Republicans silent about the Ukraine whistleblower scandal? This one chart explains.
- Opinion: The New York Times omits mention of race from its history of the tea party
- Poll: voters who reject racism are more energized for 2020 than they were in 2016
- For Trump, appeals to white fears about race may be a tougher sell in 2020: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Opinion: Quiz: Let us predict whether you're a democrat or a republican