White anxiety, and a president ready to address it
- July 20, 2019
- Michael Tesler, poli sci, in The New York Times, July 20, 2019
“It really takes a Trump to ignite it,” said Michael Tesler, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine. “These beliefs that whites are discriminated against, that undeserving minorities are getting more than they deserve, and hard-working whites are getting less than they deserve — those are always there. … “Much of the research on the role of emotions in politics points to anger as a particularly effective emotion in getting people off the sidelines and onto the political playing field,” said Davin Phoenix, a political scientist at the University of California, Irvine. [Subscription required, campus-wide access provided by UCI Libraries. Sign-up here: AccessNYT.com]
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/20/upshot/white-anxiety-trump.html.
Related News Items
- The politics of race are shifting, and politicians are struggling to keep pace
- In praise of polarization
- 'Who are we?' Joe Biden seizes the moment as nation's attitude shifts on race
- The Floyd protests have changed public opinion about race and policing. Here's the data.
- The Floyd protests will likely change public attitudes about race and policing. Here's why.