Threatened ICE raids create more political noise than police action
- July 15, 2019
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and political science, in the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Tribune, July 15, 2019
Louis DeSipio, a political science professor at UC Irvine, said the way the weekend transpired illustrated Trump’s ability to maintain high levels of fear in immigrant communities, regardless of whether his threats materialize. But Sunday’s lack of action probably further strained the president’s relationship with ICE, because the agency once again had to divert resources into an operation that fell short of expectations, DeSipio said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ice-raids-trump-immigration-20190715-story.html.
Related News Items
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- Trump's threatened ICE raids could hearten his base, and terrify immigrants
- At a time of political divisions, a show of unity at Surf City parade
- As young girls they fled two different countries. In L.A. they found a friendship without borders
- Trump's sanctuary threat could answer immigrants' prayers