Threatened ICE raids create more political noise than police action
- July 15, 2019
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and political science, in the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Tribune, July 15, 2019
Louis DeSipio, a political science professor at UC Irvine, said the way the weekend transpired illustrated Trump’s ability to maintain high levels of fear in immigrant communities, regardless of whether his threats materialize. But Sunday’s lack of action probably further strained the president’s relationship with ICE, because the agency once again had to divert resources into an operation that fell short of expectations, DeSipio said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ice-raids-trump-immigration-20190715-story.html.
Related News Items
- Immigrants in California applying to become US citizens
- Republicans claim victory in two special elections
- Joe Biden must follow Bernie Sanders' example and aggressively court Latinos
- Naturalized citizens could be critical in this fall's election
- For ICE, business as usual is never business as usual in era of Trump