Money, then and now
- July 5, 2019
- Bill Maurer, anthropology, via WNYC Studios, July 5, 2019 (Audio)
Most evidence suggests that money arose from recordkeeping — or, as UC Irvine professor Bill Maurer explains to Bob, "in the beginning was not the coin... in the beginning was the receipt." In this segment, Bob speaks with Maurer and Brown University's Mark Blyth about past and present myths about money, and what the history of money might suggest about its future.
For the full story, please visit https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/money-then-and-now-1?tab=summary.
Related News Items
- Video giant Twitch pushes Trump rallies and mass violence into the live-stream age
- The Faketoshi Circus: Even Bitcoin Can't Escape the Politics of Money
- UCI launches new open online course on confronting digital extremism
- What Facebook's Libra really is
- Facebook's Libra: it's not the 'crypto' that's the issue, it's the organization behind it