California hits back as Trump threatens to ‘dump’ immigrants in ‘sanctuary cities’
- April 16, 2019
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and poli sci, in the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, April 16, 2019
Trump and California Democrats are appealing to their respective political bases by attacking one another. But posturing on both sides doesn’t serve anyone well, said Louis DeSipio, a professor of political science at UC Irvine. “The rhetorical battles — in particular, President Trump’s threats — are supposed to antagonize and aren’t an effort to construct a solution to what is a challenge at the southern border,” he said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-sanctuary-city-trump-democrats-20190416-story.html.
Related News Items
- Vox co-founder and editor-at-large Ezra Klein on politics and his Irvine roots
- Threatened ICE raids create more political noise than police action
- Trump's threatened ICE raids could hearten his base, and terrify immigrants
- At a time of political divisions, a show of unity at Surf City parade
- As young girls they fled two different countries. In L.A. they found a friendship without borders