California hits back as Trump threatens to ‘dump’ immigrants in ‘sanctuary cities’
- April 16, 2019
- Louis DeSipio, Chicano/Latino studies and poli sci, in the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, April 16, 2019
Trump and California Democrats are appealing to their respective political bases by attacking one another. But posturing on both sides doesn’t serve anyone well, said Louis DeSipio, a professor of political science at UC Irvine. “The rhetorical battles — in particular, President Trump’s threats — are supposed to antagonize and aren’t an effort to construct a solution to what is a challenge at the southern border,” he said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-california-sanctuary-city-trump-democrats-20190416-story.html.
Related News Items
- Hundreds of political scientists call for removing Trump
- Four lessons from the southern California House seats Republicans reclaimed in 2020
- UCI Podcast: OC election analysis and social justice under Biden
- Orange County, once a GOP bastion, goes for Biden over Trump
- Orange County reports near-record voting, county boasts 70% turnout as of Monday