4 Nevada killings put neighbors on edge, no motive disclosed
- January 24, 2019
- Ruben Rumbaut, sociology, in The New York Times (AP) and others, Jan. 24, 2019
Since the first days of his presidency, Trump has repeatedly pointed to crimes committed by immigrants in the country illegally to argue that the U.S. needs a border wall and tougher immigration policies. … University of California, Irvine, sociology professor Ruben Rumbaut co-authored a recent study that said crime rates fell sharply from 1990 to 2015 at a time when illegal immigration spiked. Crime rates were low in immigrant-rich and border cities like El Paso, Texas, and San Diego.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/01/24/us/ap-us-nevada-killings-immigrant.html.
Related News Items
- UCI sociologists are making their mark
- New program allows incarcerated students to get bachelor's degrees alongside peers on the outside
- 'The US isn't an option anymore': why California's immigrants are heading back to Mexico
- UCI and CDCR sign MOU to partner on new in-prison bachelor's degree program
- Immigration: A boon or burden to U.S. society?