Why fighting fake news with the facts might not be enough
- January 9, 2019
- Book review of The Misinformation Age with Cailin O’Connor and Jim Weatherall, LPS, in The New York Times, Jan. 9, 2019
Along with [UCI Associate Professor] Cailin O’Connor and [UCI Professor] James Owen
Weatherall’s “The Misinformation Age: How False Beliefs Spread,” [Bruno] Latour’s
new book offers a way to think through the seemingly insurmountable impasse carved
out by political polarization and fake news. Of the two volumes, “The Misinformation
Age” takes the more methodical and earnest approach. O’Connor and Weatherall are professors
of logic, and they break down the mechanics of misinformation accordingly.
For the full story, please visit https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/books/review-misinformation-age-cailin-oconnor-james-owen-weatherall-down-to-earth-bruno-latour.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share.
Related News Items
- Speaker focuses on critical thinking to combat misinformation
- Orange County GOP promotes event featuring Judy Mikovits of 'Plandemic' fame
- 'An American Tradition': Lessons from a year covering conspiracy theories
- O'Connor earns Philosophy of Science Association award for book on unfairness
- Three areas where the 'Amen-Choir' effect will hamper DEI initiatives