Trump compares migrants in caravan to cop killer in fearmongering ad
- November 1, 2018
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, via The Huffington Post, Nov. 1, 2018
Commentators have compared the ad to the “Willie Horton” ad attacking Michael Dukakis in support of George H.W. Bush in 1988. The ad retells the case of Horton, an African-American man serving a life sentence for murder, who was temporarily released on a furlough program supported by Dukakis. He escaped, and raped a white woman and stabbed her fiance. The ad was “playing to white fears about black crime,” said Claire Jean Kim, political science professor at the University of California, Irvine.
For the full story, please visit https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-ad-undocumented-immigrants-midterms_us_5bdac1a8e4b019a7ab5a5f45.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color