Trump revives ‘Willie Horton’ tactic with ad linking illegal immigrant killer to Democrats
- November 1, 2018
- Claire Jean Kim, poli sci, via The Washington Post and SF Gate, Nov. 1, 2018
“This was a classic example of racial cuing,” Claire Jean Kim, a political-science professor at the University of California at Irvine, said in a 2012 PBS special. … Kim, who described the ad’s strategy as “incredibly effective” and “masterful,” said even decades later, it still “sets the bar for racial cuing.” “Candidates talk about not wanting to be Willie Hortonized,” she said.
For the full story, please visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/01/democrats-let-him-into-our-country-trumps-new-ad-links-opponents-illegal-immigrant-killer-its-far-worse-than-infamous-willie-horton-ad-say-critics/?utm_term=.ede9c2f27945.
Related News Items
- U.S. acts decisively to protect Asian Americans - but drags its feet on protecting Black Americans
- A searching discussion about being Asian American at MIT
- Can a hate crimes bill stop the rising violence against Asian Americans?
- Amid rise in anti-Asian hate crimes, Democrats move to beef up prosecution
- Opinion: Here's how the model minority myth hurts Asians and other people of color