Let taxpayers pay the minimum wage (Opinion)
- August 21, 2018
- David Neumark, economics, via The Wall Street Journal, Aug. 21, 2018
Minimum wages reduce employment of low-skilled workers, yet political support for minimum-wage increases is so strong that they seem inevitable. What to do? I have developed a proposal for a high-wage tax credit. The HWTC preserves the direct benefits of higher minimum wages—namely, higher wages for low-wage workers—while mitigating the harm.
For the full story, please visit https://www.wsj.com/articles/let-taxpayers-pay-the-minimum-wage-1534892582?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=3.
Related News Items
- Who really earns the minimum wage?
- Opinion: Canada should follow the lead of Trump's America and grow jobs, not regulations
- Opinion: Democrats' job guarantee plan isn't such a good idea, economist says
- Business groups slam House for passing $15 minimum wage bill
- House votes to raise federal minimum wage to $15